The mission of the Foreign Languages School with its specialized staff, provides education to students who are eligible for this education within the specified quota that will ensure their proficiency in courses taught in a foreign language and educates individuals who are researching and learning in the process of language education, in addition, it encourages learners’ language skills in the direction by offering programs that will follow publications in a foreign language and improve their critical thinking.
- Our Vision
English Foundation School aims to equip students with academic qualifications when they graduate from their departments at the faculties they prefer and the ability to use English as a means of communication. It is one of our biggest vision to educate students who can use English effectively.
- Our Mission
In accordance with the parallel of Onbes Kasım Kıbrıs Univeristy’s mission with its staff that specialized that provide education to students at all faculties in which they will ensure their proficiency in courses taught in a foreign language. Individuals are educated who research and learn in the process of language education. In addition, they will be encouraged in terms of language skills in this direction by offering programs that will follow publications in a foreign language and improve their critical thinking.
- Social Utility
- Innovation And Creativity
- Considering freedom and discipline together
- To be fair and consistent in management
- Using resources effectively
- To follow a management policy that is open for improvements
- To be environmentally-conscious
- Thinking about nationalism and universality together
- To have ethical approach
- Respect for universal values and human rights
- Giving importance to academic merit and success
- To encourage Scientific research
- Quality monitoring in education
OUR EDUCATIONAL APPROACHES
CONTEMPORARY EDUCATION (MODERN EDUCATION)
- Teaching methods that focus more on teaching by developing intelligence behaviors using a wide range of innovative ideas that are Modern Teaching Methods as a simple definition.
- The new teaching methods, which we call the modern teaching method that are more based on activities and it is aimed at fully involving the student's mind in the learning process. In the modern teaching method, the student is the first priority in curriculum teaching and planning. In this way, learners actively participate in the entire process of improving their knowledge and skills, and this is called the constructivist approach.
- Teacher directs the students and guides them to focus on their subject goals. Contemporary teaching methods is accepted that help reduce competition between students, promote cooperation and empowering healthy working environment.
- Over the years, there have been noticeable changes in the style of teaching. In contrast to the old reading practices such as memorization, modern, interactive teaching methods have now been accepted and the positive consequences of this are seen. These methods are an educational reform that provides for a completely different teaching / learning style, because modern teaching methods, unlike the traditional teaching method, do not treat all students at the same level in terms of their ability to understand. İnstead of teacher-based teaching methods, in modern education the focus is on questioning, demonstrating, explaining, applying, and collaborating methods those are more activity-based.
- Education is a necessity of the this era because it creates a more intellectual society, motivation and guidelines those are very important during educating society. Teachers are responsible for motivating students. While educating students new techniques and methods that providing practical knowledge, sharpening their skills and allowing them to be trained to face all kinds of challenges are needed, not only theoretical study.
At the beginning of the academic year, Foreign Languages School conducts Profiency Exam for all students who are enrolled in our university. For the programs that’s instruction language is completely English, students have to take at least 70 or upper than 70 to study at departments.
Students whose score is below the passing score of Profiency Exam are enrolled in the foundation class and they are placed depends on grade they take. In the foundation program that are implemented as reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
WELCOME TO FOUNDATION SCHOOL AT ON BEŞ KASIM KIBRIS UNIVERSITY!!!
Foundation School at University is the bridge between school and university. A foundation year bridges the gap if you don’t have the right qualifications to go straight on to an undergraduate degree programme. It provides a broad introduction to subjects of your choice and helps you gain valuable academic, study and English language skills.
Studying in English may be quite daunting if you're not used to speaking English every day. English language training is one of the key aspects of studying a foundation programme. The course will help you develop the required English speaking skills to, not only progress to university but communicate in everyday life. An Academic English Skills module will ensure you reach the required level of English and are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking so you can have a successful future at university. You will also develop your academic writing, presentation skills and the ability to contribute in group discussions, so you will know what to expect when you start your degree.
A foundation course is a programme that will prepare you for an undergraduate degree at university. They are specifically designed for international students who want to study abroad, such as in Europe or the USA.
The Head of English Foundation School
Assist. Prof.Dr Salima HUSEYNOVA
Welcome to Foundation School at Onbes Kasım Kıbrıs University. First of all, I would like to state that, at the end of the educational process that you will take in our school, we will be pleased to see you as a self-developed individual.
Besides it, our educational approach that we accept students as the individuals, our school provides you with all kinds of educational material during your academic year and create your best version . English is a common language all around the world that will provides you many advantages in your future life.
The main purpose of English Foundation School is to help students successfully maintain your studies in an academic environment and make you to be part of the environment by gaining knowledge and skills in the English language.
Dear Foundation School students, I would like to specify that during your English learning process, as individuals you need to take your own responsibility. I suggest you to attend the classes regularly, work systematically, practice, continue your English development out of the classroom. I wish you to love English as a part of your life.
Good luck in your academic year
The Representative of English Foundation School
Instr. Cansu KARAKILIC
OUR FOUNDATION SCHOOL’S CLASSES / COURSE HOURS
At first, profiency exam test is done to check students’ English level. If students are needed to study in English Foundation School, students whose study for at least 20 hours a week. In addition, educational support is constantly ongoing.
Textbooks are chosen depends on goal of education program that is supported by extra materials when it is necessary.
Attendance is taken from the first course day until end of the semester. Attendance is compulsory. If the student does not come to the courses, at end of the semester grade is entered as N/A.
ENGLISH LEVELS AND ACQUIREMENTS
(GOALS AND OBJECTIVES)
BEGINNER (A1) READING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can understand short and simple texts.
- They can follow short and simple explanations and directions,
- They can understand the content of simple texts or simple definitions,
- They can scan a text to find the main idea,
- They can scan a text to find details,
- They can make simple inferences,
- According to the context of the text, they can deduce the meaning of simple words that they don't know.
- They can understand the simple used structures in texts.
BEGINNER (A1) LISTENING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can understand short and simple explanations, directions, and conversations.
- They can understand short and simple questions and instructions
- They can understand simple and concrete statements about daily needs,
- They can follow short and simple monologues and dialogues,
- They can understand the relation between speakers and where they are,
- They can understand the topic of a short conversation
BEGINNER (A1) WRITING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can write short texts using vocabulary and grammar structures.
- They can identify themselves, other people, places or activities,
- They can write a short text on current issues,
- They can write short and simple notes and messages,
- They can fill out the form using personal information (name, surname, date of birth, nationality, etc.)
- They can create a paragraph about themselves (eg. they can express in simple sentences where they live and what they do)
- They can write short notes, short letters and messages with the help of the dictionary.
BEGINNER (A1) SPEAKING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can ask and answer questions in a simple way, start and end the conversation
- They can communicate in a simple way,
- They can tell about themselves and about others by sing the words and phrases they know,
- They can ask and answer questions about various topics or people,
- They can start and end a conversation on any topic.
ELEMENTARY(A2) READING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can understand simple texts written on various topics.
- They scan a text to find the main idea,
- They scan a text to find details,
- They can make simple inferences,
- They can deduce the meaning of words they don't know according to the context of the text,
- They can understand the used structures in texts
ELEMENTARY(A2) LISTENING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can understand the conversation that they are interested which is clear and slow, daily and current ones.
- They can follow clear and slow information conversations,
- They can understand the main idea in conversation,
- They can understand conversations about current issues or personal interests.
ELEMENTARY(A2) WRITING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can write short and understandable texts by stating their own opinions about familiar topics.
- They can write a paragraph about the similarities of two different places, people, or topics,
- They can write a paragraph about the differences of two different places, people, or topics,
- They can write a paragraph defending an idea,
- They can create integrity meaning in texts with the help of frequently used conjunctions,
- They can explain their ideas about everyday and familiar topics by giving examples in content integrity.
ELEMENTARY(A2) SPEAKING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can exchange information about familiar and simple topics, they can make simple and short presentations by working in advance.
- They can ask and answer questions on various topics
- They can exchange information directly on simple topics,
- They can make simple definitions or explanations,
- They can start and end a conversation on any topic,
- They can make a simple and short presentation by working in advance,
PRE-INTERMEDIATE (B1) READING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students will be able to understand intermediate written texts written on various topics.
- They can find the main ideas in written texts,
- They can quickly scan written texts to find the intended information from it,
- They can deduce the meanings of words in written texts from the whole text,
- They can interpret graphical information,
- They can comprehend the structural adjustment of the texts,
- They can make inferences,
PRE-INTERMEDIATE (B1) LISTENING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students will be able to understand the mutual conversations and presentations they listen to about current and academic issues.
- They can take note of the main points mentioned in mutual conversations and monologues on current issues,
- They can take note the main points in conversations on simple academic topics,
- They can understand the relationships between people who have mentioned in mutual conversations and where conversations take place,
- They can deduce from the whole conversation what people imply in mutual conversations,
PRE-INTERMEDIATE (B1) WRITING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can write an essay that will express their views on a given topic.
- They can make a summary on a given topic,
- They can write an essay consisting of introduction, body and conclusion paragraphs.
- They can rephrase short written texts using different word and grammar structures.
PRE-INTERMEDIATE (B1) SPEAKING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can express their opinions on major issues related to their daily lives or their own interests, and establish mutual communication.
- They can express their opinions about current issues,
- They can take part in mutual discussions and defend their ideas,
- They can make presentations stating their opinion on a certain subject,
- They can answer the asked questions on a certain topic,
- They can summarize short written texts in verbal form.
INTERMEDIATE (B2) READING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students will be able to understand in various types complex written texts (descriptive, argumentative, etc.)
- They can quickly grasp the main idea in long and complex texts.
- They can quickly scan to find the details in the text,
- They can understand the attitude and ideas of the authors,
- They can understand graphical information
- They can make inferences using clues to find the ideas implied in the text.
INTERMEDIATE (B2) LISTENING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students will be able to understand complex listening texts such as monologues, interviews, discussions and dialogues, attitudes and opinions in texts containing concrete and abstract topics
- They can follow the topic of mutual conversations and monologues on concrete and abstract topics,
- They can understand the attitudes and opinions in complex listening texts,
- When they are listening , they can take notes by using strategies,
- They can understand information and details in speeches, discussions.
- They can make inferences to get information that is not clearly given, but is implied.
INTERMEDIATE (B2) WRITING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can write detailed texts on various topics by synthesizing information and ideas from different sources. They can write an integrated and coherent essay consisting of paragraphs of introduction, body and conclusion. They are able to correct their mistakes and control their own work.
They can write essay:
- Supporting a given opinion and/or offering opposing ideas about that opinion,
- Explain cause and/or effect on various issues,
- Describing the advantages and disadvantages of the subject,
- Expressing their personal opinion on a given topic,
INTERMEDIATE (B2) SPEAKING GOALS
Objective: At the end of this level, students can communicate fluently by using the language correctly and effectively in general or academic subjects. Actively they are engaged in dialogues, they can express their opinion or tell about their thoughts either they agree or not.
- They can exchange intensive and effective information on topics related to their own interests or they are familiar with that.
- They can decisively express their own ideas and opinions and make suggestions,
- They can have fluent conversations, highlighting important points on many general or academic topics.